Counsel panel list review
The SFO currently has a Counsel List which comprises four categories: QC; Panel A (more than 10 years’ practice); Panel B (5 to 10 years’ practice); and Panel C (1 to 5 years’ practice). The Counsel List is due to be renewed in 2017.
Alongside its Counsel List, the SFO is now establishing a Panel List of Chambers and Independent Practitioners to undertake document-review work for disclosure in its Prosecutions and Proceeds of Crime (POC) casework, including legal professional privilege (LPP) review work as independent review counsel.
The SFO therefore invites Chambers and Independent Practitioners with knowledge and experience of document-review work to submit an Expression of Interest for the purpose of being selected for this new Panel List.
This new Panel List is being established to meet the demands of the SFO’s casework, enabling the SFO to identify a pool of experienced chambers and practitioners to whom document-review work may be offered as it arises.
Although the SFO cannot guarantee work to any particular Chambers or independent practitioner on this Panel List, the SFO undertakes to contact Chambers and independent practitioners on the Panel List about potential opportunities before contacting other Chambers and independent practitioners.
All appointments will, however, be based on the suitability of the candidates for the work to be undertaken and obtaining security clearance to the extent required.
The application form sets out the criteria that will need to be met by Chambers and Independent Practitioners and the evidence to be provided in support of the application. For LPP reviewers, knowledge and experience of the law relating to LPP is essential.
The Expression of Interest application forms for Chambers and Independent Practitioners may be downloaded below:
- Application form for Chambers
Last Updated: 24 Mehefin, 2016
- Application form for Independent Practitioners
Last Updated: 24 Mehefin, 2016
- Reference form
Last Updated: 27 Mehefin, 2016
- For Independent Practitioners only
Independent Practitioners must include a current CV with the Expression of Interest.
Completed applications and CVs must be sent electronically to email@example.com by midnight on Monday 11 July 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Panel List for both Chambers and Independent Practitioners will be approved and come into effect by 1 August 2016.
Process following appointment to the approved list
Selection for candidates once the approved Panel List is in place will be as follows:
- When a requirement has been identified to the Commercial team and approved, all Chambers and Independent Practitioners on the relevant Panel List will be notified by email.
- In addition to up to date CVs Chambers and Independent Practitioners may be asked to provide further relevant information within a set timeframe.
- This information along with the CV will be assessed by the SFO case teams to determine the suitability of the Independent Practitioners for the proposed work.
- Conflicts of interest and vetting requirements will be addressed subsequently if, following the suitability assessment, the Independent Practitioner is invited to attend an interview. Please note if conflict or vetting requirements are not met, the SFO reserves the right to decline the instruction at this stage.