Prosecution of director of ALM Services UK Ltd for failure to produce documents
14 Mehefin, 2019 | Eitemau newyddion
Anna Machkevitch has today been charged in connection with an ongoing corruption investigation into Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation and related companies. She is required to attend Westminster Magistrates Court on Friday 5 July 2019.
Ms Machkevitch, 36, is the director of London-based ALM Services UK Ltd and the Machkevitch Foundation. The SFO alleges that in January 2019 she failed to supply documents required by the SFO, contrary to Section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987.
Failing to comply with a Notice given by the SFO without reasonable excuse is a criminal offence and carries a prison sentence of up to 6 months and an unlimited fine.
The SFO’s investigation into ENRC is ongoing and focused on allegations of serious fraud, bribery and corruption in relation to the acquisition and retention of substantial mineral assets.
Proceedings are now active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981, and it is important that nothing is said or published that could jeopardise Ms Machkevitch’s right to a fair trial.
Notes to Editors
- A Section 2 Notice, compelling Anna Machkevitch to supply documents, was issued in December 2018.
- Ms Machkevitch is not a suspect in the corruption investigation.
- Section 2 Notices are routinely issued to individuals who appear to have information of relevance to SFO investigations. Compliance is a legal requirement: under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987, the Director of the Serious Fraud Office is empowered to compel individuals to appear for interview by SFO staff. More information on the SFO’s Section 2 powers can be found on our website at www.sfo.gov.uk/publications/corporate-information/sfo-historical-background-powers/
- The investigation into Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation was announced in April 2013. Further information can be found on our website at www.sfo.gov.uk/cases/enrc
- Anna Machkevitch is represented by Howard Kennedy LLP.